Updated Eventually!

Here at Don't Click That Link Gaming, we believe in a relaxed friendly environment. Therefore we will be updating this blog as often as were in the mood to. However, we will keep it updated at least once a week.

Monday, October 10, 2011

It's been awhile.

As unfortunate as it is I haven't been able to write in this for awhile. I figured I'd pop on and leave a few ideas that have been floating in my head for a while. My goal is to help solidify my thoughts for a campaign setting. The idea is to use traditional fantasy classes and apply a Science Fiction concept to them. For example a If a player wanted to play a Spell Caster that play would have to find a good allegory in science fiction. I personally would recommend the Technomage from Babylon 5. Using implants or nanites to create the effect of a traditional Mage/wizard.

So an unknown amount of years in the future the world is destroyed by a cult that worships machines, artificial intelligence and the Apocalypse. This cult is the Followers of the Word. People still remember parts of it so they see all artificial intelligence as what 500 years ago people viewed the undead. Endoskeletons replacing skeletons, half-finished Sub-Human cyborgs experiments replacing zombies, and those successful experiments replacing vampires and powerful undead. I thought it would be an interesting twist on a classic roleplaying game staple.

The campaign would be heavily influenced by my personal favorites for Science Fiction. Fallout, Babylon 5, Akira, Final Fantasy VII, and a plethora of other places. The idea was the allow the players to pick anything they could think of as an interesting character concept and think how this character is interacting with this "Brave New World" so to speak. At one point I had a table ready to go and they all flaked, because that's what gamers do.

A few of the characters that were close to finished were brilliant. A Paladin who's "Turn Undead" was turned into an EMP pulse. A genetically altered individual with a symbiotic organism that gave him such an hyper healing factor. This person was suppose to be an emissary to a haven city the trauma of the new world causing his healing factor to erase his memory to "heal" him.

Overall I think it would have been a lot of fun, and with so much to add and screw around with. I'm mostly just posting to get some of it down so I don't forget it. I doubt that'll be the case, I've been thinking about it for almost 4 years. Maybe I'll write short stories set in this. I was a huge fan of Thieve's world.

No comments:

Post a Comment